Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Big Changes, Miracles and Good News

Hello Family!
 
So I laughed last week after I found out that we were getting a new companion and I had told you that nothing was going to change really! Sister Jones, from Baton Rouge, LA, is our newest companion. She is straight from the MTC, just like me! It makes it an interesting situation because I am still in the training process, but the last six weeks of it, and Sister Jones is brand new, so we are kind of starting all over. I am not the trainer, but I am kind of the side-kick to Sister Robinette... hehe The reason for the trio is because Sister Robinette and all the other missionaries going home are leaving a week early because of Christmas. So...I needed a companion for the last week of this transfer. So I will be a trainer for at least a week! :) Then we don't really know what will happen, but we are excited for this transfer! Great things are already happening... Ready for them? Here you go...
 
We have a baptism this Saturday, November 26th! And December 3rd! And December 10th! All of them are looking pretty good so far. Mark is being baptized this Saturday and he just had his interview this morning, so we are pretty much good to go on that one. He is so excited! He is the guy that showed up three weeks ago and just said he wanted to be baptized. I could tell from the very beginning how much he wanted to take this step in his life and we are so excited! It is amazing to see how much he has repented and used the repentance process in his life. He hasn't told us much about his past, but he told us last week that he was in tears on his bed, asking for repentance. He truly understands and is sorry for what he is done. I still struggle to fully understand repentance, but Mark is a wonderful example. 
On December 3rdSavannah, a 10 year old girl, is planning to be baptism. MIRACLE OF THE WEEK! Savannah's dad said she could get baptized! On one condition: That he would get a picture! We can totally do that. :) Savannah's dad is not really in the picture and is not a very nice man from what we have heard, and Joyce, Savannah's mom, was worried about getting permission, but he said it was okay. :) It was amazing and truly a miracle. 
Last, but certainly not least, Yvonne Rivera is a referral we received from the ward. We think that she just called the ward building for more information and then we received her contact information, but that is not important...  We met with her last Friday. She said that she grew up Catholic and her mother never let her explore other religions. Yvonne said she's been drawn to the Mormon church for a while and is now dating a member. She loves how family oriented it is and was just excited to learn. At the end of the lesson, she said, "I know this is where I belong. I just have a warm feeling and am getting emotional." We testified that it was the Spirit testifying of the truth of the message. She came to church yesterday and brought her two children. She committed to be baptized on December 10thand we just received a call from her this morning, asking if we could meet more often so that she would be prepared. Also, she has some cousins that are members and they are going to attend and were wondering if they could bring refreshments! How great is that?! We are just so excited for her. She is so prepared and I know that the Lord is blessing us in this area.
 
One of my favorite Miracles of the week (I try to look for miracles every day and I write them down at the end of the day...I would try doing that! There are so many miracles.): We were at Frances Baggerman's home and she told us to sit down. She said she had lost her cell phone and was searching for it when we showed up. After we sat down, she continued searching for it. Five minutes went by... (probably) and she still hadn't found it. We didn't really know how to help, but I said a prayer in my mind that she would find it. I started looking around a little as I sat in the couch. I looked behind me at a shelve and then I thought about how everything is ALWAYS in the couch. If you lose it, that is where you should check. So, I looked at the side of the couch, thought a saw something, and reached down, and it was the phone! Literally a minute after I had said the quick prayer. I knew that Heavenly Father had answered that prayer. Frances said she had already looked in the couch, but hadn't seen it, but there it was! Heavenly Father never fails. I have done that so many times and I always find what I am missing. And this time was no different. It strengthened my testimony that prayer really works. He is listening. I know that is true!
 
So Thanksgiving is this week and I will definitely get plenty to eat! I am excited for turkey, mashed potatoes, and gravy. :)
 
There are way too many things I am grateful for, but here are a few:
 
All of you. My family. Being on a mission is wonderful, but I miss you all so much. We are so blessed to have our family. We have been extremely blessed, especially spiritually. Poul mentioned how all of us who are old enough to have gone to the temple have gone, and I have releized how blessed we are. To have six out of seven children already endowed is a huge blessed and privilege that our family has. Mama and Papa, thank you for all that you have done! You raised some good kids and it was because you always loved and respected us that we are the way we are. Thank you! I love you so much Kirstin, Poul, Andrea, Johanna, Peder, and Geoffrey. You are my best friends. :)
 
The gospel. We would not be the family that we are without the gospel. I know that is true. I am so grateful that I was taught about faith, repentance, baptism, the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end so early in life. I know that truly is a blessing.
 
My mission. I am so glad that I am here. I am glad to be serving the people in California at this time. This is truly rewarding and helps me see how blessed I have always been. I love being here.
 
An education. I love my gospel education and math education. :) The gospel one is sooo important here on the mission, but I have been able to help people with math as well. :)
 
A loving Heavenly Father and his Son, Jesus Christ. Without my Savior, I would be nothing. I love that we are given the opportunity to repent and use the Savior's Atonement everyday to become better. One thing I love is: repentance is all about love; our love for our Savior, Jesus Christ and His love for us.
 
There are so many more: scriptures, in particular The Book of Mormon, church leaders, chocolate... Lots and lots!
 
But most especially it is all of you. I love you so much! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving! I miss you! I know that God lives and that Jesus Christ is my Savior. The Church is so true!
 
Lots of Love,
Sister Schillemat
 
Challenge for the week: Look for at least one miracle a day and write it down. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment