Wednesday, May 9, 2012

First week in Riverside--Adjustments.


Family!
 
First, before I forget. I won't be able to skype until 6:00pm my time, which means 9:00pm your time. I'm sorry it is so late, but that is what happened to work out. Just be on skype by 8:30 or so and I'll be on shortly after! I am excited to talk and see your lovely faces!
 
So Riverside is a hard area, but things are going well nonetheless. The people are a little less receptive, which makes it pretty difficult, but it was still a good week. It was certainly hard to leave Highland, such a familiar place, but I have been greatly blessed in Riverside. The ward is AMAZING! We have the best Ward Mission Leader. He is always right there to help us and just wants to serve! He is truly a blessing. Then the ward is just so kind and I love them already! Very welcoming and love that I am from New Hampshire. :)
 
So the miracle for the week is a family named the Williams. We went over to their house on Monday night for dinner and after sharing a spiritual thought, we kneeled to pray. Kaitlyn, the 5 year old daughter, prayed with our help for the first time out loud! It was amazing and then her mother Amanda, started to cry. It was a wonderful experience. And then on Saturday night we had a little time before we had to be home and we stopped by. We met Mikey, the father/husband, who is not a member, but he was very open to our visits. Cody, the 12 year old son, is also not a member. Amanda said to us, "Guess what? After you came to visit on Monday night, Cody said he wants to be baptized." We were SO EXCITED! It was exactly what we needed after having several appointments fall through. We then talked with Cody about baptism for a little and asked if we could leave with a prayer. So again we knelt down, and we asked Kaitlyn who she wanted to pray. She pointed at her dad. Mikey was hesitant and nervous to say the least, but after explaining how to pray, he said a beautiful prayer. It was a miracle evening! Then the next day, they were ALL at church! It was such a special experience because we often take prayer for granted, but this was the first time for Mikey and Kaitlyn to pray outloud. Think about how happy Heavenly Father is to hear from them!
 
Missions are full of miracles! :) We just have to look for them!
 
Thank you so much for the package you sent Mom with the Relief Society! That was such a surprise and a wonderful treat! :) Tell everyone Thank you!
 
I found out a really COOL connection yesterday! We were over to the Senior Sister Missionaries apt to eat dinner. They live right across the way from our apt. As we were talking, Sister Crews mentioned that she used to live in Oneonta (probably spelled that wrong..), NY. I knew that sounded familiar, so I asked if she knew any Haehnels. She was like, "Bob and Marion...or something...Did they lose a daughter about 10 years ago?" I then told her is was Mike and Maureen, and yes, that was my cousin. She knows them! She lived there over 25 years ago, but she goes to visit almost every summer! What a small world! Ask Mike and Maureen if they know a Sister Crews!
 
I love this gospel. I love how we truly are a big family. That is the goal of our loving Heavenly Father. He just wants us all to be a family! Sealed for time and eternity! I am so grateful for temples!
 
Thank you all for the support and love and many prayers! Keep sending them my way. :)
 
So very excited to talk/see you soon!
Love you!
Sister Gretchen Schillemat

No comments:

Post a Comment