Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Week Three in the Mission Field



Family!
 
I have made it successfully through one half of a transfer! It has been a great couple of weeks. I really do like it out here and I am learning a lot. There is sooo much in the scriptures. I often wish I had a lot more time to just study the scriptures and that I could know so much more, but teaching is important and I love that too. :)
 
So this week I want to talk about Frances Baggerman. I can't remember if I told you about her and all that she is going through. Her dad past away recently, her dog was stolen and then ran away, and then her cousin beat her up and she lost two teeth because of it. She has been through so much, but she has the sweetest spirit. She has been reading from the Book of Mormon and she came to church yesterday! That was so exciting! She looked so cute too. She doesn't have a lot of nice clothes, but the Sisters before me went out and bought her some clothes for church. She was just happy yesterday and you could see it as she was sitting there in church. I loved it! She truly is amazing. She still has a lot to learn and needs to work on her smoking problem, but the great thing is that she knows that it is a problem. She knows that it is a waste of money and that it is bad for her. That is a big part of stopping. Sister Hench, a senior missionary, is a convert to the church and had to stop smoking. She came with us to talk to Frances and it was great to have her there. She said that the key to overcoming temptations is to lay everything down before Jesus Christ. Ask for help from Heavenly Father, but make sure that you do everything in the name of the Savior. I know that is true. We can overcome every challenge that we have if we lay it at the feet of the Savior, Jesus Christ. I have so much to learn and temptations, challenges, and trials to overcome and it is only through Jesus Christ that I can overcome those things. I think it really helped Frances. She is doing great. We still are praying a lot for her, but she is scheduled for baptism on November 26th! :)
 
One thing I love about missionary work is how much we pray. Prayer is so essential to missionary work. We must "pray always" and our righteous desires will be answered. I have been really working on prayer lately. We always teach people to pray from their heart and to tell Heavenly Father the desires of their hearts. If I am going to tell people to do that, I have to as well! :) I really experienced that last night as I prayed. There are things that I want to learn and improve on and I think for a while I was just embarrassed to even ask Heavenly Father for help. But last night, I just laid it out to him. I told him very specifically what my desires were and today as been wonderful. I know that Heavenly Father is listening. I know that as we pray specifically, Heavenly Father will answer our prayers. I love praying in lessons as well and realizing that Heavenly Father is watching over us as we pray and he will really help those we pray for. Prayer is amazing! Thank you Mom and Dad for having family prayers. I know that our family has been strengthened beacuse of that. Keep praying! Thank you all for the prayers you have sent my way. I know that Heavenly Father is blessing me because of your prayers.
 
Well, this week should be another good one! Thank you so much to all the High Priests for the letter they sent! That was soo wonderful and unexpected. My favorite part was Grandpa's part where he started by saying, "Hello Amber" and then crossed it out and put Gretchen. :) Thank you all!
 
Dad, I want to hear from you! :)
Poul, You owe me a letter soon mister... ;)
Kirstin, Thank you for the letter. I loved Lucy;'s scribble. Thank you Jimmy as well!
Andrea, Thanks for the emails every week. I love you!
Jo, I need to hear from you soon too! How are you doing?
Peder, Keep doing what you're doing! You are going to be a great missionary!
Geoff, I hope soccer is going well and I want to hear more from you. I am thinking of sharing 2 Nephi 19:21 for a dinner thought today because I was thinking of you. Thanks for sharing that with me this summer. Keep reading your scriptures!
Mom, Thank you for all the updates! I really appreciate it. You are wonderful Mama!
 
Thank you all for your love and support! You are amazing and I pray for you often. Your daughter and sister over in California misses you all, but is glad to be here. Love you!
 
Commitment of the week: Find a scripture that means a lot to you and that you can recall often when you need a spiritual boost. Sister Robinette's is Helaman 5:12 and it has become one of my favorites as well. We share it will so many people. Mine is probably my missionary plague: Mosiah 2:41beacuse it talks about happiness and that is what life on earth and eternal life is all abaout. I really love 2 Nephi 31:20 as well. We should have a steadfastness in Christ and a perfect brightness of hope. I love that! Perfect Brightness of Hope! When I hear that I just think about how we should hope for exaltation. It is absolutely attainable! We are going to be an eternal family! How wonderful is that! I would love to hear what your scriptures are. Email or write me and let me know. :)
 
Love you all! Keep praying for me. I need it. :)
The Church is true and Jesus Christ lives. I love prayer and the power it brings. The Book of Mormon brings power into our lives.
Love you siempre (always in Spanish!),
Sister Gretchen Schillemat
 
"It is not just that the Book of Mormon teaches us truth,. though it indeed does that. It is not just that the Book of Mormon bears record of Christ, though it indeed does that, too. But there is something more. There is a power in the book which will begin to flow into your lives the moment you begin a serious study of the book." - President Ezra Taft Benson.
 
I love that quotation. It is very true. There is a power that will flow into our lives! Keep reading. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment